English  ✓

Français

Past destinations and future intention to migrate: a study of migrants from north-east India to Mumbai city

Lusome Raman, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS)

The paper is based on a survey carried out among 310 migrants originating from North-East India and moving to Mumbai. From the analysis, it is found that 43 percent of the migrants from North-East India have made multiple moves before moving to Mumbai. About 900 moves are made by the 310 migrants with an average of about 3 moves per migrants. The places as well as the reasons for their move to the other destinations provide an insight for a better understanding of the choice of destination among the migrants. Moreover, the analysis of age, marital status, duration of stay and activities of the migrants at different destination helps in understanding the relative attractiveness of various destinations for the Northeast migrants. It is also found that while 30 percent intends to stay in Mumbai, the rest 70 percent have the intention to move out from Mumbai in the near future.

  See extended abstract

Presented in Poster Session 3: Poster Session 3: migration, environment and spatial demography